(To Clarify, This Took Place before the Events That Transpired In “Dolls and Fairies”)

Before Creed had left Magnolia, he decided to take one more look at the request board. While looking it over, he saw that one of the requests was from Oak, and said, “I guess while I’m there I can make some money as well.” He took a quick look at it. It read, “Exterminator needed! I just moved to my new house in Oak. The house itself is great, but the previous owners forgot to mention that there was an infestation of… something, in the attic. I don’t care how you do it, I just want whatever is up there gone!” It sounded interesting, so Creed accepted it.

When he arrived in Oak, and after first trying to find any information about the Grimoire Heart Mage, he went to the address that was on the request. Upon arriving he saw a woman standing outside of the house looking both scared, frustrated, and annoying all at the same time. Creed walked up to her and asked, “You called for an exterminator?” The woman quickly replied, “Yes! Oh thank god you’re here! Let’s skip the introductions and get this over with, okay?” She grabbed Creed’s hand and pulled him into the house. As she was basically dragging him to the attic, Creed asked, “So, what exactly is up there?” Without stopping or turning around, Mary told Creed, “To be honest, I don’t have a clue. I don’t know what it is, nor do I know there is more than one of them. All I know is that whatever is up there is not welcome in this house and needs to be taken care of, which is why you’re here, right? Why are you even asking these questions? It’s not like you actually care about my problem. You Mages only take requests to get paid, so you don’t need to pretend to care-“Creed had heard enough. “Forget this.” Creed ripped his hand out of Mary’s grip, turned around, and stormed out of the house. Mary ran out behind him and yelled, “Hey! Come back here! Please! I-I’ll double the payment if you want! I’ll do whatever you want me to do! I’ll-“In the blink of an eye, Creed was in front of her, looking down at her, boiling with rage. He then told her, “Are you listening to yourself?! I don’t care about the payment.” He then lifted his hand up, revealing his insignia, and explained to Mary, “Yes, I’ll admit that one of the reasons why I became a Mage was to make money, but that’s not the only reason. I also became a Mage to help people, more specifically, people who deserve the help that Mages can provide. But if that’s how you feel, then maybe taking this request was a mistake.” Creed then turned around and started to walk away. He turned onto a corner and waited a few seconds. Then he heard Mary calling from behind him, “Wait!” He turned back around and saw Mary running to him. “I’m… sorry, about what I said. It’s just that where I’m from, Mages only cared about their payment, and if you couldn’t pay with money, you had the alternative…” Mary looked down. “After a while, I just assumed all Mages were like that. But you’re different than the others…” Creed walked up to her and said, “And I’m not the only one. There are lots of Guilds full of Mages whose goal to help people in need. There’s Fairy Tail, which I’m in, Blue Pegasus, Lamia Scale, Sabertooth, and (Creed was reluctant to say this one) Phantom Lord, which is the local Guild in Oak. Sure, most Mages do work for money, but any respectable Mage isn’t solely motivated by it. So, why don’t we start over? A-hem, my name is Creed, what’s yours?” Creed held his hand out for a hand shake. Mary shook his hand and replied, Mary. Mary Locke.” After that, they went back to Mary’s house. Once there, Creed asked her, “So, what can you tell me about whatever’s up in your attic? Are there certain noises it makes, or something?” She then replied, “Now that you mention it, from time to time I have heard what sound like squeals coming from up there…” “Squeals?” Creed thought. “Other than that, there’s nothing else I can tell you.” They went up to the entrance to the attic. Mary opened the door and Creed went in.

It took Creed a minute for his eyes to adjust, as it was very dark in the attic. Creed took a few steps forward. Suddenly, he heard a low growl coming from the corner. He couldn’t make out what it was, but one thing was certain; it could see him perfectly, and it wasn’t friendly. He began to charge electricity in his hand, and began to initiate a spell. Sparks of electricity were emanating from him and lighting up the room. “Lightning…” Creed stopped. The light from the electricity made whatever was in the corner more visible. It was… a giant rat. The floor around it was littered with normal sized rat skeletons, spider legs, and crushed cockroaches. Gross. Creed then noticed that its leg was bent awkwardly. Broken? With a sigh, Creed made a judgment call that he hoped he wouldn’t regret.

Creed came out of the attic carrying a large bag he had found up there. Mary was waiting for him outside. “Did you get rid of whatever was up there?” Creed showed her the bag. “Yep.” “Thank you so much. Here is your payment.” “The pleasure was all mine.” Creed accepted the payment, said goodbye to Mary and was on his way.

Later that day, near an entrance to the town’s sewage system, Creed opened the bag and pulled out the giant rat. He had knocked it out earlier and it was just now waking up. He released it into the sewers. “No one will notice, right?”

Wordcount: 988